Top 6 Simple Resume Updates
Updated: Feb 5
Recruiters may be sorting through hundreds of applications for a given job. So how do you make sure your application doesn’t get lost in the shuffle? Start by making sure you meet these resume basics:
1. Words and Not Images Want to make your resume trendy with logos and photos? Search engines can’t scan photos for content, so if you are posting your resume online be sure your important information is written in text.
2. Spellcheck Spelling and grammar can say a lot about your attention to detail. Don’t rely on auto correct to catch you’re mistakes – it won’t catch real words that are in the wrong place. See how easy that was to miss the word “your” for the word “you’re” in the previous sentence? Printing off your resume and reading it on paper can help you catch things you might have missed on screen. Having a second person look over your application may help as well.
3. Reliable Contact Information We love finding great candidates, but we hate not being able to get a hold of them. A candidate we can't reach is hard to hire. Make sure all contact information on your resume is up-to-date.
4. Professional Email address An ILovePuppies@ email address is cute, but it doesn't give a professional impression. Unless your clever email address has a direct tie to your profession, consider having a more professional address that you can use for business-related communications. One trick to setting up a professional email address is using a variation of first and last name: Examples for John Doe: jdoe johnd john.doe
5. Professional Voicemail Like a professional email address, a professional-sounding voicemail that states the candidate’s name will leave a good impression with recruiters. An automated voice spelling out your phone number doesn’t tell the caller if they have reached who they are looking to contact.
6. Prompt Follow-Up A prompt response shows initiative and ambition, which are great features for potential employees! Also, if it takes a week to hear back from a candidate, we may already have someone else lined up. A response within 24 hours is ideal.